The first Snipe Fleet. In November 1932, The Snipe Class International Racing Association (SCIRA) was formed with Hub E. Isaacks of Dallas, Texas as Commodore. At the end of the year Dallas was awarded the first fleet charter.
By John Upton, Fleet Captain
Fleet 1 was formed in 1932 and has carried on continuously ever since. Numerous early National and World Champions (1930’s to the 1950’s) came from this Fleet.
We are located in Dallas Texas and primarily sail on White Rock Lake.
We currently have approximately 8-10 active skipper/crew teams and several other Members at Large located in Tulsa, OK and Wichita Falls, TX.
We race regularly on Saturdays throughout most of the year and additionally have 3-4 regattas annually including the Snipe Southwestern Championship which is being run this year in its 80th iteration.
We have a Facebook site located at “Dallas Snipe Fleet No. 1”.
- History of the fleet: When the fleet was founded? Most important sailors and fleet captains
- Where is it located? Where do you sail (Racing area)?
- How many boats and sailors? Who are they?
- Which regattas has the fleet held in the past? Are there annual regattas or events?
- Social events: does the fleet organize parties, dinners, clinics, promotional events etc.? Do you have a site, a mailing list or a FB page?
- Programs or ideas for the next future
- Also, please send photos