by Jerelyn Biehl
What are some of the benefits of a strong class association?
- A strong class association means lots of boats to race against, near you and around the world!
- A strong class association with lots of racing attracts the world’s best sailors – giving you the best racing possible!
- A strong class association means major events scheduled at the best sailing locations and moving all over each continent- there will always be a big event near you!
- A strong class association means solid class rules making all boats as identical as possible – you are competing against other sailors, not their check books!
- A strong class association means lots of people looking to buy boats keeping the resale value of your boat high.
- A strong class association keeps an eye towards the future and works with the builders to make improvements where needed while preserving as well as possible the competitiveness of older boats.
To be strong, a class association needs the support of its sailors!
What are some of the direct benefits of membership?
- You receive the Snipe Rulebook with the current class rules, class constitution & By-laws, Rules for Conducting events, International Deeds of Gift, National Secretary list and additional information.
- You receive SCIRA’s quarterly publication “Snipe Bulletin” which gives a roundup of international events sailed around the world, as well as information from the international office. . In addition, the magazine also contains advertising from Snipe dealers selling Snipe specific gear and aimed entirely at Snipe sailors – if you are looking for something for your boat you will see it advertised here!
- You may receive a newsletter from your own country which will have regatta reports, technique articles and much, much more.
- You will have access to the class website at www.snipe.org containing all the latest news as well as the up to date calendar of events, complete with maps to show you how to find the events. And you can also find archived copies of The Snipe Bulletin as well as useful articles on how to sail your boat faster.
- You have access to a vast archive of Snipe history including past Snipe Bulletins, boat information files, photos and articles.
- Your membership makes you eligible to sail in any of the 50+ major Snipe Class regattas scheduled every year throughout the world, including open, masters’, youth and women’s events.
What does the class association do with your membership dues?
SCIRA maintains low international dues that are by the Constitution, included in local country dues. SCIRA dues for senior members has been $15 (~12€) per year. For Junior members it is $10 (~8€)
These dues go to pay the SCIRA office staff who work incredibly hard to:
- make sure our events get scheduled every year and that these events follow the high standards of the Snipe Class,
- to publish our quarterly newsletter,
- issuing hull numbers and tracking Measurement Data Sheets ensuring that all the boats are complying with Class measurement rules,
- keeping track of rules changes proposed by members,
- interfacing with ISAF on various levels,
- Maintaining the Int. SCIRA website which includes the database for hull & member look-up.
- Coaching Clinics have been added to assist countries that need some help pick up their game through high level Snipe clinics led by Snipe sailors from around the world.
- Importantly, that money also makes sure that if you ever have a question you can simply pick up the phone, or send an email, and a knowledgeable person will answer you right away.
So you can see that you get a lot of benefit for your $15 per year!
Your membership dues are used to keep the Snipe strong on all continents and throughout the world!
Why should you join the Snipe Class?
- To enable the Snipe Class to remain a strong class association and continue to make the Snipe the favorite doublehanded dinghy.
- To gain the benefits of membership outlined above.
- To protect your investment in your boat, making sure that if the time comes to sell then you can be certain that the high demand driven by a strong class will enable you to get the best price for your boat.
The Snipe Class International Racing Association is what it is today because of the support of its members. Keep that tradition alive, join or renew your membership TODAY!