Antonio Lopez Montoya, from Cartagena, Spain, is the 2015 Junior World Champion (with his crew Gregorio Belmonte Cuenca).
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My first time in Optimist was in the summer of 2006.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
Mmmmm, I think that two years and a half ago, during the summer too.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
I remember one time in an Optimist race in Vigo. The wind was so light and the current was so strong that the boats could only move backwards in the upwind.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When something related to my equipment breaks and you lose the race because of this.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
The Snipe world championship that we won, of course.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
The Optimist Spanish championship of 2012, celebrated in Cambrils. The last day of competition I had a trouble that I would definitely like to forget.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I could say to go to an Olympic Games, but I prefer to go step by step so I just think about the short-term future.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2016, and beyond?
Now we have started to sail in 420 class, so the goal is to learn as quickly as we can, and make a good Spanish championship next March.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
In all the sailing stuff, also in Snipe, the most important people for my are my coaches, my team mates, my family and also my friends.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
Because of a lot of things, but maybe the most important is because in Snipe you learn a million of things about boats and sailing in general. All the great sailors say “If you can sail in Snipe, you can sail in any boat”.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
I love to sail in “El Mar Menor” I think there is no other place like it to practice this sport. I don´t really have any perfect sailing conditions, I think that if you want to be a winner, you will have to adapt to the situation you have.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Not at the same level, but I enjoy playing sports like basketball, football and tennis.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Mmmm not really, but if I do something new and it works, I don´t change it. You know?
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
My perfect holiday would be maybe in an paradisiac island with my friends, disconnected with all the world, just fishing, surfing, sailing and resting.