Augie Diaz? Everybody knows Augie Diaz … 2003 and 2005 Snipe World Champion, 2016 Star World Champion, 2 silver and 1 bronze medal at the Pan Am Games, 2x WH&O Champion, many many times (10?) Snipe US Champion, 4x Snipe World Master Champion, 6x North American Champion, US College Sailor of the year, US Rolex Yachtman of the year …
(Photo courtesy of Matias Capizzano)
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
8 years old at Clearwater Optimist Pram Club
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
11 or 12 years old
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
Winning the first race at the 2003 Snipe Worlds after the top 5 boats were not able to reconize the finish line because there were so many boats with flags near the finish.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When I don’t practice good sportsmanship
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
2003 Snipe World Championship
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
2018 Star World Championship
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
2016 Star World Championship
– 8) Sailing goals for 2019, and beyond?
Get in shape and be as competitive as I can be towards the end of my sailing career
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
My father Old Man Diaz and my brother Gonzo
– 10) Why the Snipe?
When I did my Ancestry DNA study, it came back 99% Snipe!
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Too many: Garda, Talamone, Santa Cruz, Biscayne Bay, San Francisco Bay, the Gorge. Good breeze.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I love many sports. Now I am just sailing and I have started playing golf with my brother Gonzo. But, you cannot call “golf” what I play, I am a real hacker.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
No, I have been known to sail with bananas on the boat
-14) Your perfect holiday?
Ski Yachting, even though I am a poor skier.
(Photo credits: 3 Matias Capizzano; 6 Fried Elliott; 7 Will Ricketson; 11 Jensen FSC)