Damian Borras, Spanish sailor and coach, 1994 European Champion
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
June 1968, It was in a Optimist. I was five years old.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
It was in 1978 in a Regional Championship with my father.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
“The Bora” (in Trieste 1982).
“A wild storm in Vigo (in the northwest of Spain 1990).
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
The unjustified complaints after a race.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
The satisfaction of winning a high level race at home (European Championship, Mahon 1994).
The victory of a big friend or pupil, that’s rewarding.
– 6) the race/regatta you would like to forget?
I don´t want to forget any because even the bad ones deserve to be remembered.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
My dream is enjoying sailing for a long time.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2013, and beyond?
In Snipe!!!! sailing, sailing and coaching, with my friends.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
In the Snipe class… Felix Gancedo (the great teacher of the Spanish Snipe sailors)… Torben Grael (Snipe & Star) Fabulous, Santi Lange (Snipe & Laser) Great, and all big, big Snipe family.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
Well… for tradition, when I was young (35 years a go) in my yacht club (Mahón), there was a big Snipe fleet, with many Snipe Masters. I lived near the harbor and I used to sail Snipes with my father and my cousin…. that’s all….tradition.
But now I love this boat.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Palma de Mallorcas Bay on a sunny day, nice wind (or not…..depends), good friends and Snipes…many Snipes.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Now, spinning and bike outdoor with nice weather, it’s perfect for weight control.
A long time a go, I used to practice many diferents sports.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Not in my real life. But sometimes for sailing, but that is a secret…
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
With my wife in a sunny and special place, with a nice car, long distances ahead of us and having a lot of time. Ok…. And sailing in the Snipe, (but a little bit).