Ernesto Rodriguez, Snipe sailor and champion. In 2018 Laser US Masters, 1st; Laser Canadian Masters, 1st; Snipe North Americans, 1st; Snipe Western Hemispheres, 1st; Don Q regatta 1st.
(Photo courtesy of Matias Capizzano)
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
Cuba 1985 (in a Laser)
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
Sailing one race with the centerboard back wards.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
Losing to my competition.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Racing with my son In the Tea-Party regatta in Jacksonville Fl.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
Last race at the 2009 Worlds in San Diego, fell of the boat at the weather mark (cost me the 2nd place)
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
Continues Sailing for the rest of my life.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2019, and beyond?
Sail as much as possible.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
By far Old Man Diaz, Augie Diaz and Peter Commette. They shape my life in and out of the water.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
Best boat to sail with your friends, family, girl friend, wife (last 2 not recommended)
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
15-20 knots at the ocean in For Lauderdale, Fl
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Spearfishing, biking, Racketball ad golf.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Not at all.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
Spearfishing with good friends, eat what we cash and finish the day with dark and stormy, dancing with good Cuban music, can’t beat that! 🙂
Photo credits: (1 John Payne; 2-10 Fried Elliott; 3-7-9 Matias Capizzano; 4-5-6 Kathleen Tocke; 8 Marco Oquendo)