Gustavo Carvalho, from Salvador de Bahia, 2015 Snipe World Champion with his skipper Mateus Tavares
(Photo courtesy of Matias Capizzano)
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My first time on a sailing boat was when I began on Optimist, December of 2010
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
My first time on a Snipe was last year when I sailed with my brother, but we sailed just a little because we together weighed only 110kg. Really seriously, I began on a snipe in January.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
i think nothing really bizarre has already happened to me.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When i am doing well in a race and the wind just shifts like 40 degrees.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Surely the last race of the Snipe Worlds when we were world champions!
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
A race in the 29er Worlds when another boat went through our sail and tore it.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
Going to the Olympic games in 2020 with my brother on 49er!
– 8) Sailing goals for 2016, and beyond?
For 2016, as it will be my last year in college I will have to study a lot because i want to take up medicine, so I think I will just sail the Snipe Nationals that will be in my city. After that year I want to move up to 49er and begin to prepare for the Olympic games of 2020!
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
In sailing surely my parents and my brother, who is my crew on 29er. In Snipe Mateus, my helm!
– 10) Why the Snipe?
I just began to sail Snipe in a serious way because Mateus invited me to sail the Nationals of this year!
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
My perfect sailing venue is certainly my city, good weather, warm and clear water and good wind. My perfect sailing conditions depends upon the day, if I am tired or not, but I usually like strong wind and wavess!
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I like very much to surf, wake board, scuba dive, snorkling, fishing and spearfishing! Every thing with the sea!
– 13) Are you superstitious?
No, i am not superstitious.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
I have already had a lot of perfect holidays. Once i went to the Maldives and that was really perfect.