Jerelyn Biehl, Snipe Sailor and SCIRA Executive Director
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
Pretty sure my parents had me sailing in their Lightning before I was born. First time on my own: 6 yrs old in my Sabot.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
1973 – I was 13 and a Finn sailor picked me off the Sabot beach to crew for him in the very competitive Mission Bay Snipe fleet, out in the ocean. Don Bedford & Eric Krebs were also crewing at that time (for Earl Elms & Jeff Lenhart).
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
First time in the Bahamas, we were mesmerized by a manta ray and ran into a reef.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When sailors aren’t truthful in the protest room and when people yell on the racecourse.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Too many to name – I love sailing in the Snipe! But I do remember winning the US Women’s Nationals – and winning some races in the Women’s Worlds by a large margin.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
Missing the Women’s Worlds title when we were so close… After the event, the Jury Chair came and told us we were “the true winners” so that was some redemption.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I’d love to sail a Snipe regatta with one of my two boys.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2013, and beyond?
To sail more. I haven’t been able to sail much these past few years and have a goal to get back on the water. So far 3 days this January so off to a better start!
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
My parents were huge role models for the love of sailing, competing & not giving up. My boys for encouraging me to continue to sail and to watch their latest sailing adventures! All my Snipe friends I’ve met all over the world..
– 10) Why the Snipe?
It offers something for everyone and you can travel all over the world and see friends and race Snipes in fantastic venues!
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
It used to be 12-18 knots. Realistically now more like 8-12… Favorite venues? Bahamas, Mission Bay, Lake Bracciano
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Swimming and some weight training
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Never wear the regatta gear until the event is over.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
A bareboat charter in an exotic place with warm water!