Katia Royer, Snipe sailor from Antwerp, Belgium.
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My first time was on a yacht when I was very little. At 9 years old I started following sailing classes in optimist.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
My first time on a Snipe was when I was 16 years old. It was a sunny Wednesday evening on our small lake.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
The moment Thierry’s insulin syringe was broken. We were very good the previous day and didn’t want to stop the race.
But at the end, Thierry was having troubles with concentration and his muscles. He wasn’t able to pull the vang anymore. And then we decided to go in.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Difficult to choose!! Most of the time I am having fun with Thierry.
But the Europeans at Santiago de la Ribera was one of the most memorable regatta’s.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
Our last Belgian Championship. Thierry was already so sick, my concentration wasn’t good either and we made a lot of mistakes.
It was even the first time I was afraid on the boat.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I would love to win an international womens regatta 😊
– 8) Sailing goals for 2020, and beyond?
We didn’t set any goals yet, but Thierry and I are getting better and we will be back competing on the international regatta’s.
I am really looking forward to that. And who knows we will be already back on the Europeans in Croatia. 😉
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
Thierry Den Hartigh because I love to sail with him. Sailing with Thierry (Spike) is relaxing, fun and adventurous.
My father (Eric Royer) because he is my biggest fan and sponser 😉
– 10) Why the Snipe?
I love sailing Snipe, because it is technical, tactical and sporty.
And I love the way how the Snipe people are part of your family.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Sunny, 10-15 knots and 25 degrees.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I used to do MMA, but had to stop because of an injury. I also do a lot of swimming.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Sometimes I am, but it really depends of my mindset. But most of the time I laugh with myself if I have superstitious toughts.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
An adventurous holiday in the nature. Going from hiking, to relaxing in the sun or Island hopping while sailing.
The most important thing is that it is fun, adventurous and you have a nice story to tell afterwards.