Martin Bermudez de la Puente, 2017-2018 SCIRA General Secretary for Europe, is an avid Snipe sailor and organizer of the famous “Open de Espana.”
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My first time was when I was 6 years old, my father and a friend of his took us out in his boat. That summer my father registered me in the sailing school of Vilagarcía.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
In Vilagarcía there was a small fleet of Snipe, and sometimes they didn´t have enough people for all boats and they took us.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
I coudn’t tell just one, I think that it happens to me almost every time.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When people don’t respect the rules or regulations.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
I think almost every one I have sailed, I enjoy a lot in all of them, but if i
I have to tell you one maybe “Trofeo Maria Guedes de Queiroz”, always it is more special.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
The last Spanish Championship that took place in Ciudadela (Spain), I didn’t understand that race area. 5 races that I want to forget, even though all the organization was awesome and we had fun with the Balears people.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I have a lot, but one sailing season I am looking for a Sponsor to do “Mini Transat.”
– 8) Sailing goals for 2017, and beyond?
I want to continue sailing everything that i can and help Spain get organized for a very good World Championship.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
My father, of course. He sails in Snipe every weekend and he enjoys every race that he does.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
The main thing for me is the good environment, you have it on the land and on the water. I have very good friends in Snipe class.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
I like that to vary, always the same it is very boring, but if I have to choose one I love “Santiago de la Ribera” and “la Ría de Arosa”.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Nowdays none, I work every day, my children, etc. When i was younger I played Squash and Judo.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
No, not at all.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
When it is the holidays, every one is perfect.