Mateus Tavares, 2015 Snipe World Champion
(Photo courtesy of Matias Capizzano – Video: surfing Laser in 2007)
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
Maybe when I was 5 years old.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
In 1996 I was Mario Urban’s “Maru” crew. We won the State of Bahia Champioship. I was 16 at that time.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
Laser Worlds in Jeju, North Korea 2006. We had to stop the event for two days, put all the boats into the containers and wait a hurricane pass trough to restart the regatta.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
Sailors that disrespect the rules to take advatage of some situation.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
I won one race of the Europe Class Worlds of 2000 that was held in my hometown, Salvador de Bahia. Part of my family was watching that race. It was a memorable moment.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
I had a psychological crisis in the Laser Worlds in 2008 in Australia. I ended up abandoning the event. I regret having had this attitude, but it was my decision at that time.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I didn’t have time to think of another dream. I’m still enjoying the realization of the dream I had during all my life as sportsman.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2016, and beyond?
Our Nationals is almost as tough as the Worlds and we may have 5 World Champions racing at the next Nationals in january. We know it will be a very high level event, but our goal is the title, specially because it will be held in Salvador, my hometown. At the moment that’s my only goal.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
I will name some people with whom I had the privilege to sail with.
Robert Scheidt and in snipe Bruno Bethlen, Alexandre Paradeda (Xandi) and Augie Diaz
– 10) Why the Snipe?
At first I went to the Snipe Class because it’s a strong class in Brazil. Over time, I learned to admire the class; the sailors, the boat, the events, its essence..
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Florianópolis, Brazil. Sunny and warm day, 12 to 15 knots with surfing waves!
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Stand Up paddling and Ocean Canoe Paddling.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Not at all.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
New year’s holiday.