A dynasty of sailors. Nicholas Grael, from Rio de Janeiro, is son of Lars and nephew of Torben. Nicholas wasn’t lucky at the Junior Worlds in Talamone, he won three races, broke the gooseneck and finished the championship in fifth.
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
Maybe even before I was born, my family always sailed and I learned to sail since I was a baby, but I only began sailing Optis with 9 years old (2006).
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
In Brasilia, 2007, crewing for my friend Felipe Rondina, we were both 10 years old!
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
I was in an Optimist regatta in Ilhabela (near São Paulo) when suddenly I saw a penguin hitting my boat and trying to get on!
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When the race is cancelled, no matter what position I am.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Brazilian National Optimist Championaship 2009, in Niterói, I was 11 years old, my goal was to be top50, I finished up in 13th and classified to the South American Championship.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
Unhappily I have to say that it was the last junior world championship in Talamone…. Despite the very good organization and wonderful place my result was much below my expectations…
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I think is pretty much the same as many other sailors: to become a gold medalist in the Olympics!
– 8) Sailing goals for 2016, and beyond?
I already started sailing 49ers and I’m planning an olympic campaign for Tokyo 2020
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
In sailing is my uncle Torben and my father Lars.
In Snipe Class there are many sailors that are very important for me and I respect them a lot: Paulo Santos, Ivan Pimentel, Alexandre Tinoco, Augie Diaz and Luis Soubie.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
Snipe is a very strong class here in Brazil, many boats competing, extremely high level and there are a lot of things you can learn sailing snipes, specially regarding boat tuning.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Cabo Frio. I love sailing with very strong winds (20knots and above!), waves and clear water.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I really love playing and watching soccer! I cheer for Vasco da Gama and I always go to Maracanã to watch the games with my friends!
– 13) Are you superstitious?
A little bit, I never change a boat’s name…
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
In Angra dos Reis (South of Rio de Janeiro), sailing with my family and friends!