The Orkney Islands lie North of the Scottish Mainland.
The Snipe Class has been popular in the Orkney Islands for many years now. The picture attached shows snipes racing in the 1960s in Kirkwall Bay. This summer Orkney Sailing Club will be hosting the 2017 Snipe UK Championships. The event will run from 12 to 14 August. See the event website for more details: http://www.uksnipenationals2017.org.uk/
Many thanks to the Orkney Archives for the picture taken by Wilfie Marr.
Holm Sailing Club
UK Nationals 2013
Stromness, Orkney Islands, Scotland, UK. Regatta report by Andy Gibson
August 2-4, 2013. Full results and photos
25 snipe competed in the UK nationals at Stromness, Orkney. This is the largest fleet at a UK national for many years thanks to the large turnout from the local Orkney snipe fleets.
This was a memorable event for many reasons
- Meeting a new community of avid snipe sailors in a region where none of the regular fleet had visited before
- The weather was awesome, including the days before & after the event (unusual for these Islands even in August)
- The sailing waters were beautiful with crystal clear bays surrounded by hills and mountains
- the racing was great, masterminded from a classic 1920s lifeboat that served as committee boat - on loan from a local museum
- The Orkney hospitality, music, beer and whisky led to some serious fun
- The wildlife that we saw included seals every day, a minke whale, puffins
Maxim Romain sailed a great event and was a worthy winner
(courtesy SCIRA UK)
... full results and photos ...