Vilamoura, Portugal, June 30, 2018
(Photo courtesy of Goncalo Melo)
Regatta report by Rachele Vitello
Damian Borras Camps with Jordi Triay Pons are the 2018 Snipe World Master Champions in Vilamoura, Portugal.
A five bullets series, with the fifth one today on the final race, left no doubt that the duo from Minorca was the best of this incredible week that started out with 4 straight wins in a line! The silver medal goes to Fernando Rita and Juan Magro (ESP), and bronze to Manu Hens and Maj Kristin Hansen Borgen (BEL).
“Today was a great day, we tried to control the fleet – says a very excited Damian Borras – particularly Fernando Rita the only one who could have stole the win from us, we are very happy of this whole week!! And winning with Jordy is even better, he’s like a son to me, I was his coach in the Laser class, and we’ve been waiting to sail at the Snipe Worlds together for six years, since 2012, when I lost to Augie Diaz for one point.”
… regatta report, full results, photos and interviews …
A seven races Championship organized by the Associação Naval de Lisboa and Federação Portuguesa de Vela in co-operation with the Snipe Class International Racing Association, that started last Monday, June the 25th, with the Opening Ceremony, then two regattas per day – with one lay day at half week – until today, when the last race was sailed by the 78 boats from 15 Nations fleet. Similar conditions over the week for wind direction, as for intensity it was more on the strong side at the beginning of the week and then went lighter, yesterday it was probably the lightest it has been.
A great fight on the water and lots of fun on the dockside, with some excellent hospitality shown by the Portuguese host, as former Snipe World Champion Augie Diaz, sixth this year, says:
“A lot of good people here, with a very strong level. Damian and Jordi did a fantastic job dominating this until the very last race, Fernando Rita also did a very nice job, they both outclasses the rest of the fleet. Villamoura is a spectacular place to sail, I really recommend coming here for a regatta, for the conditions, the people here, I am really pleased that I came!”
Next Snipe World Championship is the one dedicated to women, the Women’s Snipe World Championship, that will take place mid August in Newport, Rhode Island, and then off to Finland for the Open & Junior Europeans at the end of August.
Final results after 7 races (1 discard)
1. ESP Damian Borras Camps & Jordi Triay Pons, 10
2. ESP Fernando Rita & Juan Magro, 19
3. BEL Manu Hens & Maj Kristin Hansen Borgen, 30
4. POR Tiago Roquette & Tiago Morais, 33
5. URU Ricardo Fabini & Adrian Quiroga, 37
1. BEL Manu Hens & Maj Kristin Hansen Borgen
2. POR Tiago Roquette & Tiago Morais
3. URU Ricardo Fabini & Adrian Quiroga
1. ESP Damian Borras Camps & Jordi Triay Pons
2. ESP Fernando Rita & Juan Magro
3. USA Augie Diaz & Kathleen Tocke
1. NOR Jorn Haga & Maria Fiestas Le-Ngoc
2. POR Domingos Borralho & Luis Oliveira
3. ITA Pier Paolo Fuzzi & Stefano Muccioli
1. BRA Paulo Santos & Thiago Sangineto
2. ESP José Parez Morales & Jorge Juan Soriano
3. POR Daniel Santana & Cristina Domingos