Lars Grael, Snipe World Champion in 1983 in Porto with his brother Torben and Olympic medallist in Tornado (bronze in 1988 and in 1996).
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
Days after I was born. Sailed on my grandfather 6 Meter “Aileen”. Sailing for us, is a family passion.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
First race I had 9 or 10 years old, and crewing a beauty wooden Snipe at the Paranoa Lake in Brasilia.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
My accident at the Vitoria Sailing Week sailing my Tornado in 1998.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
When it finishes at the Protest Room
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
The survival conditions on the last race of the Olympics in Pusan (Seoul 1988) that made us jump to the podium! And the Brazilian team at the 12 Metre Campaign from 2005 till 2007.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
I Have already forgotten!
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I’m living that dream. Sailing for pleasure and doing the best I can considering my physic limitations.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2013, and beyond?
Do my best at the Star Class World’s in San Diego.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
My admiration for sailors like Paul Elvstrom; Robert Scheidt and my brother Torben. At the Snipe, my uncles Axel & Erik Schmidt (3 World’s in a row 61, 63, 65).
– 10) Why the Snipe?
Great class. Tradition. Technical Boat. Good climate among sailors. Good for all ages!
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
Perfect Sailing Venue is Buzios (Rio de Janeiro Coast in Brazil). Perfect sailing Condition was sailing a Tornado in Buzios in a 18 Kts breeze! Outstanding!
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I used to practice Badminton and Tennis. Nowadays with my limitations, I play Table Tennis and Canoeing.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
Not much, but some. Changes a time…
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
Sailing, family, friends, rock’n roll and a cold beer!