Peter Wolstenholme, Snipe sailor from London and UK National Secretary
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My parents had a boat that I was taken out on as a baby, my father then bought a dinghy and I crewed for him.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
I crewed a Cadet and sailed with Keith Butler, my father lent us his Snipe to sail in at the Junior Nationals, I was about 11. I have pretty much sailed Snipes on and off ever since.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
I was sailing a club race in a Cadet racing against a friend Nick McGonigle when a squall came through and picked up the boat Nick was sailing and put it down gently on the nearby bank.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
Two things, one when people don’t give crews enough respect, and second race officials (everyone helping to put the event on) not getting thanks and respect.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
There are lots of races and regattas I think back on ranging from a club Laser series to a race in a UK nationals where we went around the first mark over 1/2hr in front of the next boat to a French Nationals in Brittany which was just a fantastic week.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
The Worlds 1997 in San Diego, I could not get a sail set up that worked all week, I think the more I tried different things the slower I went. I didn’t sail a Snipe again for quite a few years.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
Get Snipes sailed more and particularly by juniors in the UK and not loose the ethos “Serious sailing serious fun”.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2021, and beyond?
Get people back on the water
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
Everybody who gives their time up so we can all sail.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
I have sailed a lot of different boats and just enjoy the racing in a Snipe the most.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
I don’t have a favourite sailing venue, I have enjoyed sailing in lots of venues around the world and they all present different challenges, easier to say where I don’t like sailing. I can’t see the point in having favourite conditions you just have to deal with what you get on the day.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
I’ve had a go at quite a few sports but really enjoy our annual skiing trip with my family.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
Spending time with my family and our dogs.